Clermont's Historic Village, at the corner of West Avenue and Osceola Street, is a cooperative effort of the South Lake County Historical Society and the City of Clermont.
The Townsend House was moved to the site in 2002 from its original location on what is now Highway 50 - just west of the Auto Zone store. The house was built in approximately 1895 and the front of the house faced Highland Avenue, with the back overlooking Crystal Lake. This was the home of James and Sallie Townsend, the first African-American couple to make their home in Clermont. This home has been open to the public since 2005.
The second house relocated to the Historic Village was the Kern House. The house was built in approximately 1885 on Montrose Street. Alexander and Eleonora Kern were farmers in New Jersey who moved to Central Florida with their two children. Mr. Kern built a water tank in the backyard of this home and hand pumped water from Crystal Lake to supply his home with water. The Kern House was moved to the site in 2006 and has been open to the public since 2008.
The City of Clermont has renovated the Depot building, which was built around 1925. The building includes rest rooms, covered picnic area, a small office, a concession stand and a meeting room which will seat 30 to 40 people.
In 2009, the City moved the original Cooper Memorial Library building, built in 1914, to the site.
The Historic Village also has a Quonset Hut which is used as a World War II Museum.
Clermont's Historic Village open hours are Friday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Special tours for school children and other organizations can be scheduled by contacting Roxanne Brown, Village Manager, at 352-432-3496. There is no charge for tours.