Cadet Post 600
The Clermont Fire Department is proud to sponsor Cadet Post 600, offering Clermont area students the opportunity to interact with fire department personnel and experience involvement inside the fire service first hand. Recruits will experience the various aspects of a fire service career by working and training together with certified Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics as well as other Cadets.
Cadet Post 600 is a program that provides young men and women, ages 15 through 20, with the opportunity to explore their career interest in a local setting. The program matches the interests of young adults with adult expertise and resources of the chartered organization and other adults in the community. The program is carried out through a Cadet Post. Its purpose is to provide experiences that will affect the positive development of youth at a critical stage in their lives and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.
Cadet Post 600 has four specific goals for our cadets:
- To gain practical experience in a special interest, a skill, or a career
- Engage in a program of activities centered on Exploring’s six experience areas: social, leadership, fitness, service, outdoor, and career
- To experience positive leadership from adults and youth and to have an opportunity to lead others
- To learn and grow in a caring environment
Teens can learn a variety of skills and are welcome to ride along with the duty crew (safety first and foremost) to actual emergency and non-emergency calls after successfully completing the orientation program and ride test. There is much to offer, a chance in return to help the community, and the opportunity to achieve a better understanding of “firehouse life” and a career in the fire service or emergency medical services.
Requirement For Membership
- Between the ages of 15 through 20, or 14 and in the ninth grade
- Reside within the attendance district of a south Lake County High School
- Currently enrolled in and attending school or graduated
- Must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
Monthly Attendance Requirements
- Attend two Cadet Post 600 meetings per month
- Attend a minimum of one fire department training session per month
- Participate in a minimum of six hours station ride time
The Cadets will participate in many activities, special assignments and functions throughout the year. Cadet Post adult advisors and fire department personnel oversee the activities, but the Cadet Post 600 youth members are responsible for planning and coordinating their participation in the events. Some of these events include:
- Triathlon events, including The Great Floridian Ironman
- Community events, including the annual “Pig on the Pond” bar-b-q competition & festival and monthly “First Friday” events
- Public fire education functions
- Sporting events
The Cadet program not only allows a person to experience the fire service and emergency medical services first-hand, but also provides training that will be beneficial in everyday life. A certified instructor or firefighter gives all training. Some of this training includes:
- CPR and First Aid
- Use of Automatic External Defibrillator
- Fire Department Procedures, including firefighter training
- Emergency Medical Procedures, including EMS First Responder training
- Report Writing
The Cadet Post 600 meets every other Monday, holidays permitting, at Clermont Fire Department Station One or Station Two according to schedule. The meetings start at 6:30 PM and last until approximately 9:00 PM. For further information, please call (352) 394-7662.