Insurance Services Office (ISO) Rating
The City of Clermont Fire Department received Class 1 Public Protection Classification (PPC) rating from the Insurance Services Office (ISO) in July 2020. This nationally recognized standard is based on extensive criteria that evaluates a department's ability to protect people and property. Under 1% of the nation's public departments hold this distinction. The ISO Class 1 (on a scale of 1 to 10) provides the lowest insurance premiums possible for hazard insurance policies and only 186 (0.6%) of the 29,705 public fire departments in the U.S. have a Class 1 rating.
Clermont Fire Department Earns International Accreditation
March 13, 2018 the City of Clermont Fire Department became Lake County's first department to earn the Commission on Fire Accreditation International's Accreditation from the Center for Public Safety Excellence. The coveted achievement is the gold standard among fire departments around the world. Of the nearly 500 fire departments and stations in Florida, only 22 have earned accreditation. There are 30,000 fire departments in the U.S. alone and many more worldwide. Clermont Fire department is one of only 179 civilian (non-DOD) departments worldwide that holds this designation. The Commission examined the department in 10 categories that included administration, training and competency, the exhaustive process looked at the fire department's programs, resources and planning. The department also conducted internal and external focus groups assessing perceptions of the department's service to the community. The Clermont Fire Department has 89 full-time employees and operates four stations, including one joint station with Lake County.
The city had an Ajax chemical fire truck as early as 1917. A volunteer fire department was organized in 1923. The City Council appointed G.D. Cribb as Chief. In 1924, F.B. Roe replaced Cribb and was instructed by Council to organize and drill a hose company.
Advanced Life Support emergency medical services was implemented beginning July 1, 2001. We currently have six ALS units running out of four fire stations.